DPM’s speech regarding teachers’ bunrnout: read here
- As a Mignonne in this education world, I am delighted to see this article published in DPM’s facebook note.
For your information, we have pretty rough time juggling school errands and playing other roles as well.
As a human, we deserve a conducive working environment. We deserve to be treated equally. We need some time to de-stress and recharge my energy so that I can work as optimum as I can the next day. I have to be honest here. My weakness of unable to handle my stress have resulted poor immune system. Hey. I want to work. Not to be sick. For a record, most of my Saturdays have been taken up and once or twice a month, I applied for MC. Such a shame. I’m supposed to contribute something to the country, innit? But due to my workload, I’m stressed.
My creativity has been castrated due to the workload. I rarely write poetry nowadays. I didn’t go to musical or theater for 2 years. I didn’t read much book as I was used to. The only time I can read book when I was on my way back to Perak. The bus journey takes 8 hours and I benefited my time by reading. I travel back to my hometown in Perak during school holidays only. Once in a blue moon. (My mom is living alone and she is 51 years old, imagine the heartache I have when we are far). Recently, the Jabatan Pelajaran Negeri announced “NILAM” for teachers. What is it about? Courses and seminars aim to equip teachers with decent and updated knowledge about teaching profession. However, as we all know, too much funding goes to the Sekolah Berprestasi Tinggi, millions go to overseas students, and not to mention the national mega projects. Hence, no more fund can be allocated for teacher’s professional development. Come to think of it, when do we have time to read?
Here’s my routine:
- 5.00/5.30 Wakes up
- 6.00 Bath, subuh, make coffee for husband, iron tudung(have to do all these in a rush)
- 6.30 Goes to school
- 7.00 reach school, starts EW20 program or Citra Bahasa or Radio Sekolah
- 7.20 Assembly
- 7.30 Class started
- 9.00/9.30 Breakfast or else there will be no other time to eat. Need energy to teach the hyperactive class.
- 1.00 Class ended, lunch, solat zohor.
- 1.30 Monday-Prep for Buddy Support System, Tue-Meeting, Wed-Co-curricular, Thu- Meeting/Latihan
- 5.30 Go back home. Usually other people can go back early beacuse they have their own transport but my hubby insist me being a car-less person, I stay at school longer than anyone else. Extra stress mark for me. Ting! Even the afternoon teachers dah tak larat nak tegur “Tak balik lagi?”
- 6.00 /6.30 Reach home or hubby’s office, shower, asar.
- 7.00 Prep for dinner, maghrib.
- 8.00 Start working for paper work, need to send it A.S.A.P the next day/ book marking/ exam paper marking. *30 minutes de-stress by surfing internet.
- 12.00/1.00 Iron baju, prep for tomorrow, laundry (leave my laundry in the auto machine, hang it out tomorrow)
I don’t have time to go for retail therapy. I missed quite a number of good movies. I don’t go out meeting people. Becoming more depressed as hubby come home late (3/4am, sometimes 5am). I have no one to talk to. Hubby warned me because of my expensive phone bill. Sad thing I move from Perak to Johor 🙁
Lately, there are many articles written about teacher’s workload. Fact#1 , most of insane asylum inhabitants are used to be teachers at school. Fact #2, 10 patients undergoing chemotherapy at the hospital were teachers (source: the star) . The real truth, many family members of teachers are receiving less attention and love.
- Teachers are the assets of the country. How many more will be sacrificed to asylum and cancer ward?
- How many more pupils’ education development will be sacrificed in class, due to teacher’s fatigue and burnout?
- If more smart teachers are slaughtered in teaching profession (be it career change, asylum, etc.) , what will become of our education standard?
More reading regarding similar issue:
- Confession of a Cikgu
- The real truth about teaching by Tasneem Muhammad
- Bila guru luah rasa by Wahid Hashim
- Jealous? Come and stay here in pedalaman by Fazlin Farieza
- Ever wonder I get paid more than average teacher? by Ah Kam
How do I have time writing this? I abandon my exam papers. 210 sets. 50% done but I cannot mark when I am emotional. Pity my students who are going to receive “emotional” mark from me.
PS: Indonesia have come up with an organization to study about teacher’s workload years ago. Maybe we can learn something from them.